1. In this series of lessons concerning evidences, we will use the Bible the Word of God to prove the things that are stated in the Bible, are indeed true.
2. And since they are true, then every Scripture given by God is profitable for all men to hear, believe and obey.
3. “All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: that the man of God may be perfect throughly furnished unto all good works” II Timothy 3:16.
I. Why Study Evidences?
A. To strengthen our own faith.
1. “But grow in the grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. To Him be glory both now and forever. Amen. II Peter 3:18.
2. By the reading, studying and perusal of God’s Word we may understand its Divine Truths. “Whereby when ye read, ye may understand my knowledge in the mystery of Christ” Ephesians 3:4.
3. “Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not be ashamed, rightly dividing the Word of Truth” II Timothy 2:15.
B. So we will be able to explain, to teach others the basis of hope found in the Word of God for all men.
1. “But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear” I Peter 3:15.
2. “And the things that thou hast heard of me among many witnesses, the same commit thou to faithful men, who shall be able to teach others also” II Timothy 2:2.
C. But also that other men and women can learn and establish their faith in God and in His Word to be saved from their sins.
1. “So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God” Romans 10:17.
2. “And many other signs truly did Jesus in the presence of His disciples, which are not written in this book. But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through His Name” John 20: 30-31.
3. “I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am He, ye shall die in your sins” John 8:24.
4. “For the wages of sin is death: but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord” Romans 6:23.
D. In order to defend the Truth of God’s Word.
1. “Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints” Jude 3.
2. Jesus warned about the many false prophets in the world to come. “And many false prophets shall rise and shall deceive many” Matthew 24: 11.
3. “Then if any man shall say unto you, Lo, here is Christ, or there, believe it not. For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect. Behold, I have told you before. Wherefore if they shall say unto you, Behold, He is in the desert, go not forth: behold He is in the secret chambers: believe it not” Matthew 24: 23-26.
4. “That we henceforth no more children, tossed to and fro with every wind of doctrine, by the slight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive” Ephesians 4:14.
II. The Nature Of Evidences Used In This Study.
A. We will always look to the Bible the Word of God in this series of lessons for the answers to our questions regarding its Truths.
B. But we will also consider other fields of study which will prove the Bible true. Such as Archeology, Secular History, Nature, and Scientific Facts.
1. The following lessons are evidence that we will study together are more than enough proof to convince any man or woman of the reality of God and the Bible.
2. Some have to see, taste, smell, touch, hear the things of God to believe. Why?
3. Remember, true believers “walk by faith, not by sight” II Corinthians 5:7.
4. Read along with me from John 20: 19-29.
5. Though God has seen fit to give man ample evidence of His existence, may we be of that number that have not seen, and yet have believed!